+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lindelof calls Lost fans "toxic"

Default Lindelof calls Lost fans "toxic"

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a94...ans-toxic.html
    Through my experience on the web... I kind of agree with him. Lost fans are some of the worst critics of the show, but I also understand that a show like this has hundreds of people deciding themselves "this is the path the show is going to take" and are disappointed when it doesn't go the way they want it to.

But I don't think its just Lost that suffers at the hands of its own fans... British fans will know if they see Doctor Who comments on forums, especially at the site I'm linking to here, Digital Spy!

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross" - Sinclair Lewis

Fans are the best and worst thing that can happen to you. Just think of all the prequel trilogy haters in the Star Wars fandom. ^^

I'm addicted to Lost, but you know that I'm toxic...
    I liked Eloise better when she was a rat.

Corner office of Sterling, Cooper, Draper, & Pryce

Probably not a very smart thing to say just because it can be taken out of context. But, I hear what he's saying and agree with him. We're hard to please.

Well, I guess they chose their audience - mathematicians, philosphers, scientists, etc. - so in the end, if they think they chose a picky audience, that's their own fault.

Maybe they should create a reality show about bimbos living with geeks or something. No pressure there, right?

LOL

They love our toxicity. They just won't admit it. We're like the girl who doesn't just play hard to get, but really is hard to get.

.....aren't we???
    I like BiGG Books and I just can't lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma Ranch Dressing View Post
    Probably not a very smart thing to say just because it can be taken out of context. But, I hear what he's saying and agree with him. We're hard to please.
    Damon is probably sick of my "Where's Sullivan ?" POSTS....

And you nailed it Cymrugirl......they live on our "Toxicity"....it's made them what they are today !!!
    Team Sawyer
    Team Sullivan...The Rash Guy

DinasaurHEDCult.Com

Humble Assistant Scribe of the Dinasaur HED Cult !!!!

"They can call this a hostile forum all they want, I don't care. I love you Guys."
    lostinpgh, 11-5-08

Thanks Sawyer's Stash for the Sullivan Sig

I think the fact that people are talking about a show is what matters most. If fans completely ignored it, then it would be over, but a few fans that show disinterest are still watching the show for some reason. Besides, I think this season might be one of the best yet.

That's sad that he felt that. The show does deserve massive kudos for being so amazing on many levels. But, ultimately, I think he's right. This board is a perfect example. I've experienced it myself. I was really horrified and shocked by parts of last night's episode, and I had a strong emotional reaction. It amazed me that the show could even evoke that reaction from me.

But it is still, in my opinion, the best television I've ever seen. It's just that the show sets such a high bar for itself so often. Yet, it continues to amaze in different ways. So, when some episodes or scenes are just good, well, how can they compare to the really great ones?! In a way, us Lost fans are like spoiled children. We expect a lot because we've been given so much by this show time and again.

Also, one thing is for sure, if you watched this show, you have very strong feelings about it. Love and hate lie very close on the emotional spectrum. Indifference is really the opposite of love, not hate. People feel very personally about this show. It is the ultimate compliment that a TV show can produce such strong reaction over and over. We care about this show, the characters, the story line, the subplots, even the individual scenes. We care in a way I've never experienced, not in a take it or leave it way. It's the amazing characters and the interconnecting plots and mysteries. This show is in a class by itself. I will always watch, always care, even if I threaten to otherwise. I couldn't stop watching if I wanted to.

Another interesting aspect of this show is that I don't feel as strongly about the actual actors as I do about the characters. That's never been the case for me. I've been impressed with a show or movie before because of certain actors. This show is the opposite. These actors and the writers are so good at their art that they transcend the interest in their personal celebrity because the focus remains, for me at least, on the characters as they are so believable and compelling. For example, I mistook the actors names of two characters today in one of my posts because frankly, the actors aren't as important as their character. That hasn't ever been the case for me. When I love a movie or series, I know everything about the actors. In this case, I just can't get enough of the characters and the actors are just secondary. Ask me who I would like to meet in an imaginary world, I would say Sawyer or Sayid, with Josh Holloway and Naveen Andrews a far second. But, that doesn't mean the actors aren't some of the best of their kind. No, it just means they're so believable that their real personalities kind of pale in comparison.

I wish I could send a message to Damon Lindelof from all the fans. Please don't mistake obsessive and adoring and addicted because you all do such a good job and spoil the viewers so much with us being "toxic," as we are equally vocal when it comes to convincing non-viewers that their life can only be hollow and empty without this show.
    Last edited by onthebeach; 04-25-2008 at 07:19 PM.
    TEAM BAD ROBOT

I think he only meant it would be "toxic" to his ability to do his job if he spent his time on here reading all the second-guessing and nitpicking. That's probably true, so let him do his job and we'll do ours!
    WHAT ABOUT YOU?

All I keep thinking of is Britney spears song...

"The Count on Sesame Street is scarier and more captivating than those preening whack vamps from Twilight."
    -Watch your sizes & please sig responsibly-

+ Reply to Thread