+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost: A theory on time travel (www.timelooptheory.com)

Default Lost: A theory on time travel (www.timelooptheory.com)

I'm glad to see more of the topics here are shifting back to time travel. For awhile, it seemed like everyone was discounting the idea of time travel based on one *questionable line that the producers said in an interview.

Anyway, I've finally created a full webpage to promote my time loop theory. I would post it here, but it's a little too large for your average forum post. I think many of you will find it very interesting - and even if you don't totally agree with the theory, hopefully you all will find it very entertaining.

Thanks to anyone who decides to read it!

http://www.timelooptheory.com/

Wow. I can't decide if you're a genius or just have entirely toooooo much free time.

If anyone is deciding to read this theory or not READ IT.

This is one of the first fully explained theories that seems to explain everything we've seen so far in a very easy to understand manner.

Richard Alpert seems to be way less mysterious to me now after reading this theory, as well as the actions of the people in the "flash fowards", or as the author put it "alternate pasts"

Great Theory!
    LP Secretary of LOST
    Appointed by sawyer540
    Feel free to use any sigs in my album!

I only read it about halfway. You lost me soon after the aging wombs part.

Ben was born in the mid 60s, I'm pretty sure.

Horace was the one in the car who took them to the hospital.

If people don't de-age when they travel back in time, why do they not take their illnesses as well?

Edit: Ok, I finished it. A few other thoughts:

Why is Claire still pregnant? Were Jack's tattoos that old, too?

Why does the Swan computer log show the time of Des' bringing the plane down as 9-22-2004?

Why is the plane found in the wrong ocean?

Have you read the similar theory posted on Darkufo? You should. There's a lot of similarities.

I do think both theories have it somewhat right. I do think smokey is a time cop of sorts, not a monster. I do think time manipulation is going to be at the heart of this.

I like the alternate past idea. Charlie was looking a bit rock star like.
    Last edited by MCinAZ; 02-07-2008 at 04:10 PM.

if the island is existing pre 2004 that means anyone would be able to arrive who goes travelling in that region during the set time period.The island would not be hidden,and you would be able to leave from most bearings not just 325.
    A very good written piece but i don't think it has all the answers

Corner office of Sterling, Cooper, Draper, & Pryce

First, welcome to LP. Feel free to introduce yourself here.

Wow, solid theory. Maybe I overlooked it (and I didn't read the rebuttals) but how did Dharma find the island in the first place? Why also conduct other experiments (zoological and whatnot)? Why is it necessary for a human to enter in the numbers, why not a more reliable source like a computer? I'm still not exactly sure about your explanation of the smoke monster...

All in all, this is one of the most detailed, yet not-over-your-head explanations for the show. Great work.

Horace was the one in the car who took them to the hospital.

*Updated the theory with this information

If people don't de-age when they travel back in time, why do they not take their illnesses as well?

*It's a unique property of time travel. Keep in mind that the producers can completely define time travel however they wish.

*Claire conceived off the island, so her womb has had a time to hold the baby before her body reaches the time loop. That is why Juliet says that women who conceive off the island still live, however, women that conceive on the island die. The women who conceive on the island are in the full time loop, thus their bodies never age WITH the womb. Jack can keep his tattoos because they are a part of his physical body, which does not de-age when he enters the past. The key to the concept of time travel is that if you go back in time, your womb will always age, you will be "temporarily" cured of ailments, and you will only continue to age once you catch up with your present day age.

Why does the Swan computer log show the time of Des' bringing the plane down as 9-22-2004?

*Like Rosseau's distress call. Anything "on" the island is in its own little time bubble, if you will. Thus, "events" still run their course on the island, while "time" per-se is frozen in a 108 minute window. It's just the world OUTSIDE the island that isn't moving (while the island is in the loop).

[I updated the Q&A section with some of these answers]
    Last edited by JasonSuave; 02-07-2008 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonSuave View Post

*Claire conceived off the island, so her womb has had a time to hold the baby before her body reaches the time loop. That is why Juliet says that women who conceive off the island still live, however, women that conceive on the island die. The women who conceive on the island are in the full time loop, thus their bodies never age WITH the womb. Jack can keep his tattoos because they are a part of his physical body, which does not de-age when he enters the past. The key to the concept of time travel is that if you go back in time, your womb will always age, you will be "temporarily" cured of ailments, and you will only continue to age once you catch up with your present day age.
    Oh sorry, I didn't read the Q&A section. This part still hangs me up. If going back to a date before his fall 'cured' Locke of his paralysis, I'd think it would also cure Claire of her pregnancy and Jack of his tattoos. Those events hadn't occurred yet, either, just like his fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma Ranch Dressing View Post
    Why is it necessary for a human to enter in the numbers, why not a more reliable source like a computer?
    Q: Why would a human have to enter the “numbers” every 108 minutes?

A: In order to keep the island suspended in time, it would’ve been a great idea for Ben to reset the time machine every second, or minute. NOT every 108 minutes. That would provide more security on the island, as the island would only be “exposed” for a short period of time. Unfortunately for Ben, there are a few issues. Consider if you program a computer to “set a time machine back 108 minutes” – you’d be sending the computer back to a time BEFORE it was programmed. Therefore, the computer couldn’t program itself to reset the time machine. So, it requires a Human, who can retain memories through time travel to continue to reset the time machine. The other issue that Ben faces is that he can’t just go and tell someone that they have to do this. I mean, who would want to sit around pressing a button on regular intervals? So, Ben finds the Swan hatch, where testing used to take place – it was a convenient coincidence that the testing in that hatch involved the pressing of a button every 108 minutes. Ben decided that 108 minutes would be a “safe” amount of time in which to create the loop. And there you have it – Ben rigged up a contraption to reset time, while hiding its true purpose. It’s the perfect scenario for a guy like Desmond!

That other theory I linked to surmised that a human was used because in the case everyone on the island was killed, the looping would not just keep going.

TPTB have confirmed that if Desmond hadn't turned the failsafe key, a major worldwide catastrophe would've happened. Is that accounted for in your theory?

(I'm not nitpicking, just trying to help you cover all bases!)

+ Reply to Thread