+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 5x09 Namaste

Oh and in regards to this episode... eh.

Was alright, one of the weakest of the season, but not a bad thing considering the season was very strong as a whole. If it was the worst episode of S5 (which I don;t think it was), then you can argue that it was the best "worst season episode" of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob'sWiseOldMother View Post
    I liked "Namaste" and thought the opening sequence was movie quality. Jack Bender directs this one and I think he always gives us some great scenes!

We get to see the bright flash of light that takes Jack, Kate, Hurley and Sayid leaving Ben and Sun untouched. I am still wondering what explanation TPTB will give us for this other than the rest of them had to go back to 1977 to do what they end up doing.

The plane goes from night to daytime as they fly through the "rabbit hole" and Frank does a heck of a job landing that plane. Maybe this is why he wasn't suppose to fly 815 because he needed to come on the freighter as a helicopter pilot and finally as the 316 pilot. All of Jacob's plan or just fate?

I really liked the 1977 scenes and thought it was fun to see them fit in as recruits. The best was Sawyer as "man in charge"! I like Sawyer as the problem solver and thought he did a great job of it. He works together with his "team" of Jin, Miles and Juliet. I also noticed that Jack didn't mention that Ben was also on the plane with them when Jin asks who else.

Juliet realizes that her new life here is over and Sawyer tries to be kind to her about it. As much as he was excited to see them all back, especially Kate, he knows that things are all messed up for them. Juliet and Sawyer work together to bring them safely into the DI.

Radzinsky is your typical jerk! We find out the Swan was his project and I believe he was also pushing that button from the moment of the accident. Kelvin showed up after the Gulf War ended in 1991, so this may have been why Radzinsky lost it after all those years there. I can see Radzinsky taking over the responsibility to enter the numbers since this was his pride and joy during 1977. I wondered which stations were functional at this time? We know of the Flame, Arrow, Hydra,and Radzinsky mentions the Looking Glass checked in. That leaves the work on the Orchid and Swan but what about the Staff, Tempest and Pearl? The Pearl would have come after the Swan for sure.

I found it so funny that Amy and Horace were Ethan's parents. I know that this is a TV show but those 2 could never produce Ethan!!

I liked that Jack's watch had stopped working. It is sort of an indication that the way he was transported back in time messed it up. It would have been nice if Jack, Kate and Hurley would have questioned the time travel more but this is Lost! They seem to resign to that fact pretty quickly. Hurley mentions the Purge to Sawyer and this is where it is evident that these new losties have no idea what Sawyer and his group have been through just to survive at this point in time.

Sayid's arrival gives Sawyer another mess to clean up but both Jin and he handled it well. Sawyer does have to think quickly and I thought the scene between Jack and him was accurate. Sawyer is the smart con man who knows how to solve problems quickly and he does his job well here. Jack wants to be back in on the action and he probably thinks he can just go right back to the way things were before, but he can't. Jack already made Phil curious as to why he wanted to speak to James LaFleur, so Jack doesn't know how to play the game.

I wonder if Ben thought he could go right back to the Others and lead once again? He is up to his old tricks and it was funny how he showed up behind Sun in the jungle! Frank is in the protector role and basically abandons his passengers for Sun. The only thing is, Sun didn't need Frank's help as she takes care of Ben herself!

The BSM/Christian is there waiting for Sun and Frank and we even get the whispers beforehand. The way they had the light turn on in the house and the door swing open was awesome! What a great moment as Christian steps out of the door. I LOVED Frank's line, "Who the hell are you?" In the deleted scenes he actually pries open the door of the building and hands the flashlight to Frank which I found odd. Before he couldn't even touch John to help him but now he almost seems normal/human in this scene. I also loved how the wind was blowing outside since we saw this when Ben released the BSM before at the barracks with Keamy &Co.

What an ending! "What's your name?" "Sayid" "What's yours?" "I'm Ben." "It's nice to meet you Ben."
    Yes! Radzinsky is 1st to push the button, so he's not out there for the purge. Then Inman is in the Gulf War b/c we saw him w/Sayid, so Inman ended up on the island later & must have been tricked into staying in the hatch like he did to Desmond. Inman would not have been either DI or Other.
    This epi wasn't a favorite, but necessary to set up future episodes.
    "If we can't live together... we're going to die alone."

"Oh awesome. The ship sent us another Sawyer."

"You're just not looking at the big picture, Doc. You're still back in civilization. Me? I'm in the wild."

Quote Originally Posted by jdon62 View Post
    Inman explains in "Flashes Before Your Eyes" that he left the military shortly after the Gulf War, discontent with himself because "people followed my orders" (or something to that effect). I always took the scene as his referring to having a hand in turning Sayid into a torturer.

He also said during that ep that he responded to an ad in the paper to join the DI and help change the world.

What kind of goes unexplained is why the Others/Hostiles allowed Radzinsky and Inman to live, or even if Radzinsky was still alive at the time of The Purge. But as far as Inman being the last survivor of the DI, the story line is consistent with that claim.
    I believe the others didn't know about the hatch which is where Radzinsky & Inman are. My question is how did Inman get there. Yes, he answered an ad, but who arranged him getting there. Wasn't DI gone from the island (besides Radzinsky) by then?

Also, I wondered too how Ethan became an Other b4 the purge. Was he like Ben & wanted to be an Other or was he taken when he was young?

"You're just not looking at the big picture, Doc. You're still back in civilization. Me? I'm in the wild."

Quote Originally Posted by Hopelessly Lost View Post
    I believe the others didn't know about the hatch which is where Radzinsky & Inman are. My question is how did Inman get there. Yes, he answered an ad, but who arranged him getting there. Wasn't DI gone from the island (besides Radzinsky) by then?

Also, I wondered too how Ethan became an Other b4 the purge. Was he like Ben & wanted to be an Other or was he taken when he was young?
    i just rewatched this, and i am assuming ben takes an interest in little ethan, and ethan being a little kid probably follows ben around, "hero worshipping", if you will, and thats why he becomes an other

Quote Originally Posted by Hopelessly Lost View Post
    I believe the others didn't know about the hatch which is where Radzinsky & Inman are.
    Yet Richard told Sun that he “watched them all [her friends] die”, which seems to imply that he saw the carnage at the Swan site, and surely someone who saw something like that would keep an eye on things and notice a giant hatch being built!

Then again, this is probably just another example of something being written for dramatic effect with no regard (either ad or post hoc) for the immense dissonance it creates when juxtaposed against everything else.

And anyway, the Others presumably found out about the Swan at some point, what with the Flame having a security camera feed thence. If they did know about it, presumably they just let its work carry on in case it was important (I’d have liked to say because they knew it was important, but the Others were shown to be largely clueless about anything that was going on, so meh).
    Last edited by dlpb; 04-25-2011 at 11:27 AM.

I guess they could have known b/c of the camera feed, but maybe they didn't think the DI in there weren't a threat. They really couldn't leave much so the others didn't have to worry. They could keep an eye on them too.

That makes sense that Ben let Ethan tag along while Ben was a spy for the others.

So how was MIB both in the form of Locke with the Aljira survivors, and in the form of Christian at the barracks with Sun and Lapidus?

+ Reply to Thread