+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chemmis - An Ancient Egyptian Floating Island

Default Chemmis - An Ancient Egyptian Floating Island

Chemmis was described by Pomponius Mela as a floating island in Egypt. This island had sacred groves and a temple of Apollo, and it floated wherever the wind blew it. No further information is given.

Plutarch, telling of the story of the Egyptian gods Isis and Osiris, tells that Isis loosened the island of Chemmis from its foundation and set it afloat to protect her son Horus from her enemy Seth. This island moved around, and was sometimes on the Nile and sometimes on the sea.

Herodotus tells: "The next greatest marvel was the island called Chemmis. This island lies in the middle of a broad and deep lake close by the temple, and the natives declare that it floats. For my own part I did not see it float, or even move; and I wondered greatly, when they told me concerning it, whether there be really such a thing as a floating island. It has a grand temple of Apollo built upon it, in which are three distinct altars. Palm trees grow on it in great abundance, and many other trees, some of which bear fruit, while others are barren. The Egyptians tell the following story in connection with this island, to explain the way in which it first came to float:- "In former times, when the isle was still fixed and motionless, Latona, one of the eight gods of the first order, who dwelt in the city of Buto, where now she has her oracle, received Apollo as a sacred charge from Isis, and saved him by hiding him in what is now called the floating island. Typhon meanwhile was searching everywhere in hopes of finding the child of Osiris. The island, therefore, in consequence of this event, was first made to float. Such at least is the account which the Egyptians give."
    http://www.eaudrey.com/myth/Places/chemmis.htm

One may also find information regarding the god Melqart and the floating island of Chemmis here: http://books.google.com/books?id=e6I...sult#PPA114,M1
    Last edited by Erowyn; 03-16-2009 at 01:42 AM.

This is fantastic stuff you're coming up with. Kudos, mein freund!

Typhon was a monster

From Wikipedia:

"His name is apparently derived from the Greek τύφειν (typhein), to smoke"

Erowyn you're on fire. A great couple of posts, and a lot to think about...
    I'm a complex guy, Sweetheart

per ardua ad astra

Down the street from Mittlelos Bioscience

Go Erowyn!!! I'm lovin it!
    Smocke is Badass
    Social Group

The Invisibul Dinasaur Hed is my constant.

i really appreciate the work you put into this and how you present it so that others can explore further very easily should they want to. thank you, erowyn. another nice find.

Quote Originally Posted by New Otherton View Post
    This is fantastic stuff you're coming up with. Kudos, mein freund!
    I agree.

It's also very nice to see a thread on something other than "What's your favorite scene/episode/dharma station/color toothbrush"!

Pretty cool find. It's amazing this is the first I've heard of it on these forums. People prefer to repost over and over again how, wait...wait... They're on Mu...Or Atlantis! I hope they do tell us what the island's most ancient name is, be it Chemmis or not. But I don't want it do be a huge deal. Like if someone is finally relating the story, they could say it almost like Mikhail did, "They called it Chemmis." You know, with that sense like, it's all over and done with, so there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence_Oddbody View Post
    Pretty cool find. It's amazing this is the first I've heard of it on these forums. People prefer to repost over and over again how, wait...wait... They're on Mu...Or Atlantis! I hope they do tell us what the island's most ancient name is, be it Chemmis or not. But I don't want it do be a huge deal. Like if someone is finally relating the story, they could say it almost like Mikhail did, "They called it Chemmis." You know, with that sense like, it's all over and done with, so there it is.
    I look at it all as a kind of puzzle. The internet is my puzzle box, and the LOST TV show is the puzzle.

The first thing you do with a puzzle is to look for the courners, right? Those are the foundations of the puzzle - the key elements to which the story is built around, so you look for four concrete story elements. In this case - one of the four elements is the island itself. Why is it a puzzle courner? Because it's a major thing, in nearly every episode!

Once you define something like what the island is called, then we get an idea as to whom the temple on the island was dedicated to. And from there, through a series of discoveries and answers, we'll get answers to other questions, like who Richard is or how the Black Rock came to rest so far inland, or why there's whispers or how come a bird say's the name 'Hurley!'

Quote Originally Posted by spork-girl View Post
    i really appreciate the work you put into this and how you present it so that others can explore further very easily should they want to. thank you, erowyn. another nice find.
    Thanks for noticing!

+ Reply to Thread