+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Statue not made from Stone found on the Island

Default Statue not made from Stone found on the Island

I'm highly familiar with geology and can tell from looking at rocks - even on television what their origins are. So please bear with me as I explain an inconsistency I've noted.

The island is a volcanic island. Regarding volcanic rocks: there are dark coloured volcanic rocks like your standard basaltic lava's, and some light coloured volcanic rocks like Andesite or Rhyolite. So far, I've seen no evidence of lighter coloued volcanic rocks on the island. That doesn't mean there aren't any, but I've not seen them. Now - this is kinda important. When a volcano is actively exuding light coloured volcanic rocks, usually significant volcanic explosions also occur. The light coloured rock is usually filled with gas and steam - which while it's under underground pressure - remains in a fluid state. When that pressure is released, that rocks tend to solidify suddenly and also expand. Pumice is such an example.

Ancient statues in Egypt were usually made from Granite (which is an igneous rock like Lava - it just forms deep underground where it can cool slowly and form those black and white crystals you see in it), or Marble - which is a metamorphic rock and can be any colour, from green to red, to black to white. The LOST statue appears to be made of Marble - a buff coloured Marble.

So - here's my point. There's not going to be any Marble at all on that island. And even if there were any Andesite or Rhyolite on the island, those volcanic rocks don’t look like the material the statue is made of. Geologically - marble can not form on the island and won't be found there. So the Marble had to be quarried off island somewhere.

Now - guess where there's lot's of buff or beige coloured marble found in the world? Go on - guess.

Tunisia

Make of this info what you will.

Article on the marble in Tunisia: http://www.tunisiamarble.com/en/Content/resources.asp

Thumbs up.

Here I was thinking it was made of pixels.

interesting
    Beep.

I think you made a very valid point; I've noticed the rocks on Lost too and when we saw the statue (even when it was just the foot), I thought that there was no way it was built from stone that was from that island.

Not sure what it means, but I agree with you that the material to build the statue isn't indigenous of the island.

Please feel free to read my blog about me getting LOST in Hawaii.

Great catch.

Quote Originally Posted by J Cole
    Paint a picture and show the deaf what it's like to listen and speak the words and tell a blind man what he missin

Where did it go was the question I had.

Where did the rubble go?

Correct. Getting all that rock to the Island and building a statue of that size is an undertaking of truly monumental, mind-boggling proportions.

Leftenant Colonel in her Majesty's Army of Doom
    The Tree Sloth is Buttercup

In the wheel chamber, looking at the pretty lights.

well what'd ya know. geographical accuracy on a TV show with time travel.

EDIT RIGHT BELOW ME: My point exactly!!!! Not everything in LOST has a deeper meaning. Maybe some botanist can come along and tell us a type of grass doesn't belong there either.
    Last edited by Mr. 7418880; 03-07-2009 at 08:39 PM.

Here's the thing - that statue wasn't real. In fact the whole show is just fiction actually. The colour of that stone would have been decided by an art director based on what would "look good" - a geologist might object but to an audience it looks genuine and just fits into whatever vision the producers have.

please don't over analyse lost.

+ Reply to Thread