Former voting poll
For this vote, I've decided to open up a totally new thread, as in addition to a January book, we should discuss the plan to halt the book club while Lost Season 5 airs.
The plan was always to run the LLL just until Season 5, with the possibility of picking it up again after the finale. However, some people have expressed interest in continuing even during the new season. So, I open up the floor to comments.
Brief book explanations:
1) A Brief History of Time - the Stephen Hawking book aims to make physics accessible to the layman, explaining major concepts. Referenced in Lost - Aldo read it, also on Ben's bookshelf.
2) Catch-22 - A recurring option in our polls. The Joseph Heller book was one of the items from Naomi's helicopter. A satirical novel examining the stupidity of war.
3) The Stand. A Stephen King work, referenced by the writers as a major influence on Lost. As a possible end novel, interesting to have started with King (Carrie) and also end with him.
4) The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. Read by Sawyer, this book is an interesting examination of one man standing on his principles and refusing to "sell out."
5) Watchmen - by Alan Moore. What is there to say about Watchmen other than its surprise entry on the nominees list. There was demand for it, so here it is. A graphic novel indeed, but arguably the greatest ever written, and the only one to have appeared in TIME magazine's list of 100 greatest BOOKS of all time.
Last edited by nickb123; 11-01-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Reason: adding nominee desc.
"And we're live in 4...8...15...16..."