+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss "Lord of the Flies" (main thread)

Default Discuss "Lord of the Flies" (main thread)

Hey peeps, this is your main thread for LOTF discussion. Read-time starts now til Saturday 20th September, so get reading and enjoy the Lost-related discussion

See blog post
    Last edited by nickb123; 09-01-2008 at 11:16 AM.
    "And we're live in 4...8...15...16..."

I read this book about 9 months ago, so I'll be trying to join in the discussion through memory.

The first point I'd like to make is how Piggy reminds me a little of Ben.
    - Both wear glasses.
    - Both were social outcasts as children.
    - Both very clever.
    - Both seem to understand what's going on more than anyone else.

Perhaps Ben will have the same fate as Piggy...
    Quote Originally Posted by myllian View Post
    I think 'perdidos' means 'lost' in Spanish, so perdiphile = lost lover. (I'm just guessing)

Interesting, I see where you come from. Piggy has always striked me as kind of manipulative and bossy as well. And both of them aren't really in charge, even tho they'd badly want to be.

I've always thought Simon was the most interesting person. I'd say he's mostly like Locke. Likes wandering in the jungle on his own, not extremly social but still very helpful. And Simon, like Locke, is the only character to confront the beastie and find out the truth. Of course I don't know how close Locke is to the truth but seeminly closer than the rest of the Losties.

His death was mostly like Shannon's tho. Caused by other people being so scared that they saw the evil everywhere.

On a side note: Gatsbys American Dream have, beside a song about LOTF called "Fable", written two called "You All Everybody" and "Station 5: The Pearl". And their drums are fantastic.
    ♥ And there's a hole in the world
    And the light is leaking out
    Spilling like water ♥

Obviously Jack can be easily linked to Ralph.

But what about LOTF's Jack? I guess you could make the link to Sawyer, being a rival to Jack's leadership techniques and a source of anarchy to the survivors.

Could also be linked to Locke. They're both hunters and Locke can't really deal with Jack bein the original leader, they're constantly arguing and eventually split the group into. In two. ()

Eko doesn't make a bad Simon either. Since he's got pretty much the same qualities that Locke has. And dies.

Back to piggy, as cheap as it sounds at first, he and Hurley have a lot of things in common as well. Piggy is nearly blind but really understands what's going on on the island. The boys do not realize that Piggy sees more, and he is treated poorly. Hurley sees and speaks to dead people but no one takes him seriously.

Roger = Keamy
    ♥ And there's a hole in the world
    And the light is leaking out
    Spilling like water ♥

I read this book many, many, many years ago and don't really remember too much about it but I have always made the comparison between Hurley and Piggy espically after in season 1 when Hurley was having a chat with Jack about his diet and Hurley had to dash off into the trees with a handful of leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ya1smine View Post
    I've always thought Simon was the most interesting person. I'd say he's mostly like Locke. Likes wandering in the jungle on his own, not extremly social but still very helpful. And Simon, like Locke, is the only character to confront the beastie and find out the truth. Of course I don't know how close Locke is to the truth but seeminly closer than the rest of the Losties.
    Simon's secret spot in the jungle is also very alike to John's hatch in season 1.

I finished TLOTF last month and have been waiting for the discussion to start.

I guess I don't see Piggy as Ben but he does have some of those qualities when he was a child. I see Ben, as an adult, more like Jack. He knows how to get people to do what he wants for him. He controls a large group and they do as he wishes. Although, Ben is no true "hunter", he still "hunts" down what he wants and gets it.

As for Piggy, I see him as Hurley and not just for the overweight issues. Piggy is usually the one to think of what everyone else should be saying. Hurley does this all the time. Hurley thinks there should be a census, as Piggy tries to keep track of the little ones.

Of course, Ralph is very similar to Jack. Everyone looks to him as a leader but both are very doubtful of their leadership skills. Ralph knows they need a fire to be rescued and Jack's main goal on Lost is the same.

I also see John as a Simon character. They both are one with their islands and have become a part of it. They feel things differently that others on the island don't. Each has a special connection to the island.

Good book!

I'm going to not say much this month since the last time I read LOTF was in high school and I didn't care for it much then.
    My main memory that reminded me of Lost was the 'fear of others', especially the unfounded fear of the man in the parachute.
    Other Lost touchstones in LOTF: island, boar hunt, jungle-like setting, self-preservation/survival, splitting into multiple groups, weak vs strong, parachute, desire to be rescued.

+ Reply to Thread