+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Don't tell me what I can't do! -moments

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliganista! View Post
    Did someone delete the Katherine Bazemore thread?

Matt and I had a free-floating word and phrase association game goin' in there.

Now it looks like SOMEONE has deleted it, preventing me from ME from posting in a spam-spawned thread.

Don't tell me what I can't do!!!
    The mods deleted our thread but left the proper spam?
    Best Thread On Lostpedia

Quote Originally Posted by Erowyn View Post
    Jabob? Sounds Jamaican….
    Team Jacob

If you haven't gone ahead and put on the second coat, you might want to think about using difference in shades to give the water some depth. Also a little bit of white primer could make some sea foam or whatnot.

I chopped down a tree last year. Although, it was less of a you can't do it and more of a you're too lazy to do it.

Legen... wait for it

Then what happened were you able to make- up his room or not. How did your son reacted after seeing his room.

Oh yeah, some of the people in charge of internship at my school REALLY tried to convince me to stop with my studies there. I had a bad year at my internship this year and the people there told me I wasn't right either (to work with children with.. mental retardation if I'm translating that right), after telling me all year that I was. There was one guy that came in my last week and he was "in charge" there, and he probably convinced the rest to tell me I should stop because he thought what he saw in that one week wasn't good enough. So I left there because they were treating me like crap, and because they told me at school that I could finish my second year internship at a different location. But that wasn't entirely true and they told me I should wait half a year, and finish my second year from September till December (three days a week instead of one). So that's a six month delay for my studies. But before making that decision, the people at my school tried to tell me I wasn't right either, based on what they had heard from that one guy that knew me one week (turned out he lied about some stuff too). I told them that I was, and that they had told me that all year too. So they gave up. Then, after applying for an internship at at least 8 locations that didn't want me (OOPS, they forgot to tell me that there's basically NO location that wants an intern for four months) I finally found one that did really want me. Then two weeks before the end of year, my school suddenly said I could NOT go there because it didn't fit with my "learning goals". They made those up too, because that one guy at my internship had told the school that I couldn't work with groups of children, and the new place that I got was one-on-one training. The woman at school did read an essay I wrote two years ago, in which I said I found it hard to work in groups. Except I did learn something in two years and it was absolutely not a problem for me anymore. In that essay I was talking about colleagues instead of clients anyway, so what they said didn't make sense at all. So when I went to school to talk about that (it's an hour travel for me) that woman said she was busy (the day befre she said I could go see her) and that she didn't want to talk to me because it was her lunch break. So I went back home and gave up, because that day was the last day I could talk to her and convince her that her decision made no sense at all.

Anyway, I had two more weeks to find a new internship. Which is impossible. So fortunately my mother knew someone that knew someone at another location that I could try, and I got a place there. So when I told that to the woman at school (three days before summer vacation) she didn't respond. A week later it turned out she was already on vacation and I was supposed to send my email to someone else (oops, she forgot to tell me that too). So... One week before the new year starts I'll hear back whether she'll find that place "suitable" or not.

So long story short, people that didn't know anything about me at all told me every week that I sucked, and they did everything they could to get rid of me. If you hear that kind of stuff every week (because they tried to make it sound like I was a liar; they told me that too) you will start to believe it. But I kept on trying, and my new inernship is really happy to have me. So yay, don't tell me what I can't do.
    Last edited by Jim108; 07-19-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt A.M View Post
    The mods deleted our thread but left the proper spam?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rjinswand View Post
    If you haven't gone ahead and put on the second coat, you might want to think about using difference in shades to give the water some depth. Also a little bit of white primer could make some sea foam or whatnot.

I chopped down a tree last year. Although, it was less of a you can't do it and more of a you're too lazy to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by leonardino View Post
    Then what happened were you able to make- up his room or not. How did your son reacted after seeing his room.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim108 View Post
    Oh yeah, some of the people in charge of internship at my school REALLY tried to convince me to stop with my studies there. I had a bad year at my internship this year and the people there told me I wasn't right either (to work with children with.. mental retardation if I'm translating that right), after telling me all year that I was. There was one guy that came in my last week and he was "in charge" there, and he probably convinced the rest to tell me I should stop because he thought what he saw in that one week wasn't good enough. So I left there because they were treating me like crap, and because they told me at school that I could finish my second year internship at a different location. But that wasn't entirely true and they told me I should wait half a year, and finish my second year from September till December (three days a week instead of one). So that's a six month delay for my studies. But before making that decision, the people at my school tried to tell me I wasn't right either, based on what they had heard from that one guy that knew me one week (turned out he lied about some stuff too). I told them that I was, and that they had told me that all year too. So they gave up. Then, after applying for an internship at at least 8 locations that didn't want me (OOPS, they forgot to tell me that there's basically NO location that wants an intern for four months) I finally found one that did really want me. Then two weeks before the end of year, my school suddenly said I could NOT go there because it didn't fit with my "learning goals". They made those up too, because that one guy at my internship had told the school that I couldn't work with groups of children, and the new place that I got was one-on-one training. The woman at school did read an essay I wrote two years ago, in which I said I found it hard to work in groups. Except I did learn something in two years and it was absolutely not a problem for me anymore. In that essay I was talking about colleagues instead of clients anyway, so what they said didn't make sense at all. So when I went to school to talk about that (it's an hour travel for me) that woman said she was busy (the day befre she said I could go see her) and that she didn't want to talk to me because it was her lunch break. So I went back home and gave up, because that day was the last day I could talk to her and convince her that her decision made no sense at all.

Anyway, I had two more weeks to find a new internship. Which is impossible. So fortunately my mother knew someone that knew someone at another location that I could try, and I got a place there. So when I told that to the woman at school (three days before summer vacation) she didn't respond. A week later it turned out she was already on vacation and I was supposed to send my email to someone else (oops, she forgot to tell me that too). So... One week before the new year starts I'll hear back whether she'll find that place "suitable" or not.

So long story short, people that didn't know anything about me at all told me every week that I sucked, and they did everything they could to get rid of me. If you hear that kind of stuff every week (because they tried to make it sound like I was a liar; they told me that too) you will start to believe it. But I kept on trying, and my new inernship is really happy to have me. So yay, don't tell me what I can't do.
    Jim, you have said publicly here that you are diagnosed with Tourette's. Is this the basis of the complaints people have made about you?

Does Holland have the equivalent of the Americans with Disabilities Act? Tourette's rightfully or wrongfully would fall into that category here. I think if you'd been here and I knew about this, I'd tell you to throw down the trump of reporting the various people to the office handling the ADA, and for good measure, talk to an attorney about a complaint to the Human Services Commission in your state and a lawsuit if that hadn't any effect.

And it seems the school would bear some obligation to do a better bit of investigation and stop helping people to discriminate.

As far as I can tell through this forum, VMs, and what you put up on Twitter, you are a fine human being, and I don't like it that people are dissing my friend.

/rant

LOL!
    That question wasn't rhetorical.
    Best Thread On Lostpedia

Jabob? Sounds Jamaican….
    Team Jacob

Jim, you have said publicly here that you are diagnosed with Tourette's.
    Do you swear in Dutch or English?
    Best Thread On Lostpedia

Jabob? Sounds Jamaican….
    Team Jacob

Jim, you have said publicly here that you are diagnosed with Tourette's. Is this the basis of the complaints people have made about you?

Does Holland have the equivalent of the Americans with Disabilities Act? Tourette's rightfully or wrongfully would fall into that category here. I think if you'd been here and I knew about this, I'd tell you to throw down the trump of reporting the various people to the office handling the ADA, and for good measure, talk to an attorney about a complaint to the Human Services Commission in your state and a lawsuit if that hadn't any effect.

And it seems the school would bear some obligation to do a better bit of investigation and stop helping people to discriminate.

As far as I can tell through this forum, VMs, and what you put up on Twitter, you are a fine human being, and I don't like it that people are dissing my friend.

/rant
    First of all, thanks. That means a lot!

Second... I made the mistake of not telling them about my Tourettes at my internship. A, because I thought they knew and B because I figured it would be in my disadvantage. I didn't really think about how it would appear to people that didn't know about it, and it wasn't until this year that I realized I would appear more stressed out/nervous than I actually am and that would be a disadvantage. That's another reason why I wanted to try it again.
    Anyway, they didn't know until after I made the decision to leave there. But overall, they told me I didn't have the ''insight'' to work with children and just wasn't able to keep track of all the things I had to do right and think of during the job. But when I proved that I could, they didn't say anything about that and started nitpicking by saying stuff like ''you forgot to remove the drink bottle from that one kid's back, and that's an example for why you're not suited to do this kind of work''. They were being pretty mean about it too. So that's when I knew I was never going to change their minds and left. I think it's just the shy, insecure part of me (which could be a result of the Tourettes, I suppose) that they didn't really want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt A.M View Post
    Do you swear in Dutch or English?
    That's coprolalia. People with Tourettes can have the swearing thing, but that's not always the case. I just got the version with the annoying and painful tics, lucky me.

Anyway, ''sh*t'' and ''f*ck'' have turned into common swear words in Holland over the years. And they are my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim108 View Post
    That's coprolalia. People with Tourettes can have the swearing thing, but that's not always the case. I just got the version with the annoying and painful tics, lucky me.

Anyway, ''sh*t'' and ''f*ck'' have turned into common swear words in Holland over the years. And they are my favorites.
    Favourites, Jimbo, favourites.

I'd think the swearing thing would hold you back a little bit more if you wanted to work with kids.
    Last edited by Matt A.M; 07-19-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    Best Thread On Lostpedia

Jabob? Sounds Jamaican….
    Team Jacob

My American-English spellcheck said favorite. And I said I don't have the swearing thing. If I did, that would hold me back indeed... Still, I'm in control most of the time and when I'm not I can hide my tics pretty well. I've found that that's actually a lot easier around kids than around adults. Kids don't judge that much.

+ Reply to Thread