+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The island is a pendulum

Default The island is a pendulum

This theory explains the purpose of the Swan station, the dharma supply drops, the radio tower's purpose, Black Rock in the middle of the island, Desmond sailing in circuits, the plane crash, the ballon crash, why Michael and Walt were able to leave the island, researches on Valenzetti equation, Faraday's watches.

Theory:

The Swan pushed the island every 108 minutes like a pendulum, the island travelled into the past came back to the present ( 2004 ) and swinged further into the future. Forth and back in time like a pendulum.
    That's the reason why they built the radio tower. It sent a permanent broadcast into the world and when the island swings into the year 1984 for example, dharma outside knew were the island was and when it will be back again ( radio tower=like a lighthouse ).
    They calculated island's position on the timeline based on a constant pendulum swing and the radio transmission they received when the island reached off-island dharma time. Making these calculations their plane was always able to drop their load just in time so it reached the island when it swung back the other direction.

I guess the island made a full pendular movement in 216 minutes, 108 minutes into the past and after that 108 minutes into the future ( island time 108 minutes, outside maybe 108 years pass or even more ).
    Every 108 minutes the island reached its starting point (our present time) and if nobody pushes the button, the island stands still in the present and the enemys of dharma can reach the island. That's why they decided to destroy the island if nobody pushes the button anymore (dead-man's button), so the enemys can't occupy the island (which would lead into the destruction of the world because the enemys -boaties- have evil plans with the island.)

Desmond turned the failsafe key after 108 minutes ( or rather one minute too late so the island stopped a few minutes in the past ) and the island wasn't destroyed. But the island is now a little bit asynchronous in time ( -->Faraday watches ).
    Anyway that's why Desmond travelled in circles with his boat, because the island was still swinging when he sailed away, shortly after the Swan's implosion the swinging ended and Walter and Michael were able to leave the island heading direction 325.

The Black Rock came to the island while the island was swinging through the past, maybe it was just on the "wrong" or exact position when the island came by and pulled it onto the island. Or dharma made a mistake while playing around with the Swan computers and which lead to an emergency braking in the 1880s dragging in the ship.
    Would also explain Henry Gale's ballon and also of course flight 815. Every time when the pendulum is stuck it pulls something onto the island from that timeframe.

This swinging would possibly explain why dharma tried to change the Valenzetti equation result 108. They wanted to expand the 108 minutes, so they can reach further into the future and/or further into the past. They want to reach a specific date in time where they can change something important for humanity. Changing the Valenzetti equation would result in a wider range in time.
    Last edited by bocaj; 02-20-2008 at 01:25 AM.

My only problem with the jumping around in time... is what about the sun... and why is there night and day if they're jumping back and forth only 108 mins?

I really like this theory, well done! So I'm assuming the Island would be the pendulum in space time correct?

Quote Originally Posted by srammij View Post
    My only problem with the jumping around in time... is what about the sun... and why is there night and day if they're jumping back and forth only 108 mins?
    Imagine that one minute stands for exactly one year in the outside world. When the island moves along the timeline in one year steps, then they wouldn't realize changings in the sky.

Example 20th February 2008 let's say 4:00 am. Now you make a step forward exactly one year, everything high above the sky would look like the same. The stars the moon etc...

right... but then 108 mins later... they move back again. If you're constantly moving back and forth then the sun wouldn't appear to change at all, according to the way you put it.

I don't buy this at all, no offense. I think if the whole island were constantly jumping around in time, there would be noticeable differences... one being the sun.

I think if the time thing is right, it would be something more like the GroundHog's day movie... on the island, it's actually the same day repeated over and over.

This would explain how certain people, ie. Locke, and Juliet, have been able to predict the coming and goings of rain storms. If the same day was repeating you would know exactly when it was going to rain everyday, and Locke seems pretty confident in predicting this.

http://lostpedia.com/wiki/Rain

Quote Originally Posted by srammij View Post
    I think if the time thing is right, it would be something more like the GroundHog's day movie... on the island, it's actually the same day repeated over and over.
    Such a time loop on the island would create a boring series

Why do you think the time on the island has to go back and forth too? It does in the outside world indeed relatively observed from the island ( of course they can't see that because everything is so far away), There is really no need to assume a time loop on the island. But you are right with the weather and that Locke is able to predict when it is raining or not, the weather comes from outside and when the swinging island reaches a point in the time where it rains outside this event would reoccur on the island.

I guess the Other's used this swinging to go into the past. We've already seen Ben off the island, maybe in the past on Miles' photo he showed Jack. And Mikhail received the crash footages in the Flame when the swinging island reached that point again. Would also allow the Others to collect informations about the Losties and also to manipulate the video Ben showed Juliet, maybe they recorded that playground scene with Rachel and Juliet was watching a video from the past.

Quote Originally Posted by bocaj View Post
    Imagine that one minute stands for exactly one year in the outside world. When the island moves along the timeline in one year steps, then they wouldn't realize changings in the sky.

Example 20th February 2008 let's say 4:00 am. Now you make a step forward exactly one year, everything high above the sky would look like the same. The stars the moon etc...
    That's not quite right -- the solar year and sidereal (star-based) year are slightly off from one another. So you'd either see the sun moving back and forth in its orbit, or else at night you'd see the stars moving back and forth. Also the planets would jump around quite a bit in the night sky.

Finally... a pendulum swings continuously.... now suddenly the Island is jumping back in time exactly one year every minute, staying "in phase" for one minute and then jumping back a year again... How does that work, and why would it be plausible?

I'm lost.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintACK View Post
    That's not quite right -- the solar year and sidereal (star-based) year are slightly off from one another. So you'd either see the sun moving back and forth in its orbit, or else at night you'd see the stars moving back and forth. Also the planets would jump around quite a bit in the night sky.
    Yeah you are right of course, I also was thinking about that. Maybe the writers ignore these little facts because it is not so important. I mean the big picture is important, right? Would be a pity not to see Lost because there are little scientific evidences which doesn't allow telling storys like these. Or another explanation, dharma was able to correct these little differences by programming the Swan computers a bit different. Correcting algorithms etc...

Finally... a pendulum swings continuously.... now suddenly the Island is jumping back in time exactly one year every minute, staying "in phase" for one minute and then jumping back a year again... How does that work, and why would it be plausible?
    I don't know what you mean, the island isn't swinging one year back and then one year forth. Do you mean the 2 ends of the movements of a pendulum? You mean the dead points where the pendulum is swinging back again?
    Last edited by bocaj; 02-20-2008 at 02:06 AM.

This is a really cool theory. While it explains somethings, it's seems a little too tricky to explain on a tv show.

Also, if this were the case, wouldn't there be a good chance someone from say, 1923 would have washed up on the beach sometime in the last 100 days on the island? or they may have run into someone blatantly from the past?

I think the time issue will be simple like, theres a time loop or a time machine or general relativity (stated simply).

But I still think it's a cool theory It's a lot better than a lot of others.

Team Michael anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by tps703 View Post
    Also, if this were the case, wouldn't there be a good chance someone from say, 1923 would have washed up on the beach sometime in the last 100 days on the island? or they may have run into someone blatantly from the past?
    Amelia Earhart for example?

+ Reply to Thread